Sunday, March 8, 2009


Be Prepared for Life’s Defining Moments

Life is filled with defining moments. We all have them: moments that can makes us, break us, or wisely shape us.

Defining moments, there have been in my life. Some were wrought with happiness and sadness; while others have left me inspired, anxious, and even in doubt.

Graduating from college in the early and mid-seventies, I was inspired, anxious, and doubtful. At the birth of my children, I was overwhelmed with joy. When death claimed my mother sadness mingled with joy shaped my world.

Yes, in my life, there have been many defining moments. And this week, I looked back on three of them: first, God’s clarion call for me to preach; second, my acceptance of the call; and third, the preaching of my first sermon.

The first event occurred some 27 years ago, the second some months later, and the third took place 25 years ago on the first Sunday in March 1984: what memorable times.

To have God speak to me in such a clear and convincing way urging me to declare His gospel was truly a defining moment. I would hope it is a defining moment for any truly called-and-sent preacher.

But like Moses, Jeremiah, and others I made excuses as to why I was not the person in whom God sought. And as a result of doing so, it was two years after my initial call before I would grace the pulpit. That pulpit, of course, was in none other than the Mount Corinth Missionary Baptist Church, here in Hempstead, TX.

Since God’s call and my response, I have occasionally ask, why me Lord? Hoping for something definitive, the only solitary answer I received from the Lord has been, “Why not you?”

I now understand that my calling was determined and defined by God in a moment of time that was pleasing and perfect to Him. He mysteriously moved: equipping me, shaping me, and making me ever-so available for His use. I thank God for invading time and challenging me to respond to His grace and His mercy.

Defining moments in my life, have taught me that they are ultimately defined by how we respond. I’ve also learned, belief in God, love for Him, and obedience to His will are paramount in our response to moments that define life.

Consequently, God has left us with examples, defining moments in the lives of others: how they responded and the impending results.

In a defining moment, Eve “took the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.”

In a defining moment, Moses declares: “I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.”

In a defining moment, Mordecai reminds Ruth of her role in the mysterious providential care of God for His people. Mordecai asked: “Who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?”

In a defining moment, Isaiah answered God’s call, “Whom shall I send and who will go for us? Isaiah said, “Here am I; send me.”
In a defining moment, Saul, bent on the destruction of Christians, answered God’s inquiry: “Lord what would you have me to do?”

In a defining moment, Peter was challenged with the penetrating question of the resurrected Savior, “Peter do you love me? Peter sorrowfully answered: “Lord you know all things; you know that I love you.”

In a defining moment, the thief on the cross at Calvary, recognized Jesus as an innocent man and said unto Him: “Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

In a defining moment, before the foundation of the earth was laid, Jesus Christ was slain. In eternity past, He determined to die for the sins of the world.

Jesus Christ’ death, burial, and resurrection are defining moments unlike any others in the history of man. They are meant to reconcile and provide a way for sinful man to return to the Father. What shall be your response?

Photo: Dr. Talley, guest speaker, Bethlehem United Methodist Church, Hempstead, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment